Guayama, Puerto Rico is a municipality in the Southern Coastal Valley of Puerto Rico and borders the Caribbean Sea to the west by the Arroyo Patillas the east and south Las Salinas. Guayama has a population of 44,301 based on a 2010 census.
Guayama, Puerto Rico was founded by Matthias Abbey on 29 January 1736. However, there was speculation that the venue had been inhabited by native Indians in 1567. The name of the municipality comes from Indian leader who ruled the island from the southeast, its name when translated into English was “Great Place. ”
Governor Don Tomás de Abadía affirmed to Guayama as a city. Construction of La Casa del Rey was completed in 1828 and the entire complex had 200 houses, the central plaza and a church in1776.
Guayama flag has three stripes of red, yellow and black. Redsignifies the blood shed by the Taino Indians during his fight with the Spanish. Yellow symbolizes the main industry in Puerto Rico which is sugar cane. The black represents the African slaves who were in the country’s past. Old Mill is located in the upper left corner of the black line, which today is known as the Molino de Vives.
Guayama, Puerto Rico currently consists of 19 neighborhoods, the barrios of Algarrobo is the most populous, while Pozo Hondo has the lowest number of residents. The temperature is 81 degrees F, with an average of 52 mm of rainfall annually.
The Guayama education system has several private schools and only three public high schools. However, more than 12 public schools are for intermediate and elementary levels.